I have just moved this site to a new domain wp.gaeflex.ninja from the old domain tmatsuo-wordpress.appspot.com. I bought this nice domain gaeflex.ninja at Google Domains. It was very smooth 🙂 Then I bought cheap SSL certificate at about $5.00/year at https://www.ssls.com/.

I configured the domain mapping and uploaded the certificate and the private key on the App Engine Setting section in the Cloud Console. Then rewrote the database with the wp-cli tool installed in the vendor directory.

Took the backup just in case:

$ vendor/bin/wp db export --path=wordpress

`–dry-run` allows you to see the changes without overiding them:

$ vendor/bin/wp search-replace --dry-run \
  'tmatsuo-wordpress.appspot.com' 'wp.gaeflex.ninja' \
  --skip-columns=guid --path=wordpress

The command below actually overrides the values.

$ vendor/bin/wp search-replace \
  'tmatsuo-wordpress.appspot.com' 'wp.gaeflex.ninja' \
  --skip-columns=guid --path=wordpress

It’s working well so far. If you bookmarked this site, please change the URL to the new domain.

Update:
The URLs of the media files in the posts are incorrectly changed, so I needed to manually fix them.
Now I put the following few lines at the top of the nginx-app.conf:

if ( $host = 'tmatsuo-wordpress.appspot.com' ) {
  return 301 https://wp.gaeflex.ninja$request_uri;
}

so that all the requests to the old domain will be redirected to the new domain.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.